Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dear Grandma,

I've passed my deadline again but am happy to be writing you the first letter of the new year. I'm looking forward to seeing what 2010 has in store, because quite frankly, 2009 kinda stunk. Shortly after writing you the last time I had another go around with this kidney battle. This time, however, the kidney stone that had gotten itself stuck was too large to pass on it's own and they had to take me to surgery, take it out and put a stent in it's place for a week. The only thing worse than having this 15 inch stent in for a week was having that thing taken out. I'll spare you the details, but it was seriously one of the most painful things I've had to undergo in nearly 24 years. I'm thankful that it's over, that I was able to spend a week in South Dakota with my family to recover, and hoping God will give me some answers to all of this soon.

Some good did come out of another ER visit, another two days in the hospital, and a surgery. I've got this guy that makes me completely forget about all the crappy other ones that have come and gone. He's a good guy. Shovel my driveway in the middle of the night so I won't have to, spend 48 hours straight in a hospital so I won't be alone, all while updating my parents that he had not yet met, wash my car while I'm out of town, bring me flowers just because I had a bad day - good. Good enough that I'm telling you about him because you of all people know these kind of secrets are ones I don't spill very easily. I was going to tell you first. But then I got sick and things happened and I haven't been able to write. But I was going to tell you first because I know you already know all about him. You probably know more than I do because I'm sure this was your doing. But we made the best of 48 hours in a hospital and when I woke up at 2 am becuase they came in to wake me up for something or because I didn't feel well, he crawled off his fold out couch to come sit next to me and talk to me so I wouldn't be alone. And you know, aside from some of the silly things the pain meds made me say, we really did have a lot of good meaningful conversations. So, the situation wasn't a fun one, but some good did come of it.

I'm hoping this is the last time I have to write you about my kidneys. Maybe they just wanted to have one big blowout before the new year and now they're going to leave me alone. I am forever in debt to my parents for all they've done for me since this started. Mom for the lost sleep, the endless miles she's traveled just to be with me and for taking care of me the way only moms can. And you should know how miserable I would have been with the company of the laughs from dad. My parents rock and it's as simple as that.

We got an email from Mary and it sounds like your house is in good hands. I like the idea of that, just not sure that I would be ready to see it for myself. Maybe later, we'll see.

I love you,
Krsiten

No comments:

Post a Comment